In lockstep with that trend, more and more seniors are choosing to stay independent, living at home for longer.
This has been backed up by research from the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety, which found that Australians of all ages would prefer to receive assistance at home so they can live independently for longer during their retirement years rather than enter an aged care facility (SOURCE).
Of course, living independently at home also means keeping on top of our health, mental and physical.
And now, the good news. According to the ABC, researchers say Australians are entering an era in which remaining vital well into your 90s will be not just possible, but common. And your 80s may well deliver some of the best years of your life.
Indeed, the ABC article goes on to say, centenarians are now Australia’s fastest-growing demographic!
How physiotherapy is helping to keep more Australian seniors stay mobile, safe and happy
Many seniors today are using home care package (HCP) funding for physiotherapy to help them keep moving so they can stay physically active in their later years.
Let’s unpack HCP funding: firstly, what is it?
- HCP is federal funding to help seniors access in-home care services so they can continue to live independently at home
- The amount of money provided depends on the person’s needs, as assessed by an independent assessment agency. There are certain home care packages older adults are eligible for, from basic care needs (Level 1) through to high care needs (Level 4)
- Funds can be used for a variety of services, such as social support, wellbeing services, home modifications as well as allied health services such as physiotherapy.
Who is the funding for?
- SENIORS looking to maintain independent living, with in-home support
- CARERS seeking assistance to support the wellbeing of their loved ones
- HCP CASE MANAGERS helping eligible seniors with in-home care needs
How does it work?
Usually, once a senior has been approved for HCP funding, they will sign up with an approved home care package provider to help manage their funds on their behalf.
The provider will assess the clients care needs and then source third parties (for example, The Physio Co) to help provide the care required.
How does a HCP fit with the services provided by The Physio Co?
When a client has a HCP, we would obtain the HCP case manager details and call them on behalf of the client to introduce our services.
The HCP manager then sends us an agreement for our services or approves the physiotherapy sessions for this client.
Our process with HCP clients
When a HCP manager sends through a referral to The Physio Co, we will reply within two hours, with the aim to have this client booked within 24 hours.
Our physio will then attend the initial appointment and listen closely to what pain/ health problems our client has along with conducting an assessment.
After the initial assessment, the physio will create a detailed goal plan that includes:
- A specific meaningful goal the client is wanting to achieve
- What the physio and the client will be working on together to reach this goal
- How many sessions the physio recommends along with a review date of when they hope the client will achieve the goal by.
We then send this goal plan to the client’s HCP manager for approval, that way they know what we are working on, how long we aim to work on it for, and understand the costs involved.
Then our caring physio gets to work with our client on their goal!
When the review date comes up, we typically celebrate with our client and their family in smashing the goal! We also review the client’s progress for further physio as needed.
How does HCP billing work with The Physio Co?
Once approved, we then send an invoice to the HCP company for payment.
What are the advantages of using The Physio Co as part of a HCP?
- Responsive and proactive: We respond within two hours, and book appointments within 24 hours. We always remain in contact regarding a client’s condition, and if appointments have been cancelled by the client.
- Clear communication: Creating and sending our physios recommendations and client Goal Plan to the HCP manager for approval helps them manage budget and expectations. No appointments go ahead without this approval.
- We care and get results: Our physios build meaningful connections with our clients and their families, creating unique goal plans and helping seniors smash their goals!
To learn more about how The Physio Co can work with HCP providers and clients, please feel free to chat with our helpful team on 1300 797 793.