The COVID-19 pandemic has led to a rapid increase in the use of technology to stay connected.
Meetings, celebrations and learning have all had to adjust to an online environment in some way.
Many of us have now experienced celebrating a loved one’s birthday over an iPad or computer screen, having a Facetime or Skype call with a family member rather than stopping by in person, or even using a video call for a GP appointment.
What about staying active?
Today, online exercise classes (or “virtual” exercise classes as they’re sometimes called) are on the rise, given the restrictions on gatherings and the need to socially distance. Online classes are an effective and simple solution to keep exercising, without disruptions of lockdowns or restrictions. Now more than ever, it is important to find ways to stay active, keep exercising, and ensure we make our health and wellbeing a priority.
Did you know The Physio Co offers online exercise classes for seniors?
If you have never experienced exercising via online means, now is the time to get into the swing of things and give it a go!
Here are 5 facts about The Physio Co’s online exercise classes:
1. The classes are convenient & accessible: No matter where you are in Australia, you can attend an online exercise class, from the comfort of your own home! You don’t have to leave the house and you can exercise in a comfortable environment set up to your liking. It’s super time-efficient as well, because once you’ve finished your exercise class, you can head straight to hanging out your laundry, making your lunch or stepping out to the backyard to finish off some gardening. No extra time spent getting to and from a location!
2. The classes are led by a qualified physiotherapist: Our online exercise classes are all led by a qualified physiotherapist that specializes in seniors’ health. This means that if you have any particular conditions or musculoskeletal issues, the physio can demonstrate an alternative exercise for you and keep an eye on how you’re going.
3. You still exercise as a group: Many of us are motivated by other people, and online exercise classes still maintain that group environment. The Physio Co uses the popular (and easy to use) Zoom video conferencing platform for exercise classes, so you can still see, hear and talk to one another as if you were all physically in the same room!
4. Cost-effective: Online exercise classes are cheaper than in-person classes due to the fact that the physiotherapist leading the class is also delivering the class from the comfort of their own home. No travel, no extra time involved, time efficient and cost effective for everyone!
5. It’s very simple to get involved: The Physio Co’s online exercises classes are run on Zoom, which is an easy platform for anyone to use. We have a support team to guide you through if you’ve never used Zoom before, and all you need is a device with an internet connection. Devices can be iPads, computers, laptops, or even just your mobile phone.
Even when this pandemic is over, online exercise classes will have a place due to the many benefits they offer; they can also serve as an effective adjunct to your physiotherapy program.
If you are interested in giving online exercise classes a go, call our friendly The Physio Co Support Office for more information or to register.
If you are reading this and feel like your Mum, Dad or older loved one might be interested, please share this information with them. At The Physio Co, embracing technology is one way we can keep helping seniors stay mobile, safe and happy.
We hope you join us online soon!
Article written by Kathy Soo (TPC Team Leader – Sydney)